May was quite a busy month for me, but I was also able to read quite a few books from a bunch of different genres. While I didn’t post last month, I did read a lot. The trade-off was worth it, because I was able to read many books I’ve been wanting to read for ages like I’ll Be The One and Blood Promise (which was truly a wild ride from start to finish)!
- Eat the Mouth That Feeds You by Carribean Fragoza ★★★★☆ || Really weird. I loved it.
- I’ll Be the One by Lyla Lee ★★★☆☆ || Loved the message and tone of the book, but the writing style was not my favorite. Too simplistic/unrealistic of a book for me, but that’s just me. I’m not the target audience here!
- Islands of Decolonial Love: Stories and Songs by Leanne Betasamosake Simpson ★★★★☆ || I don’t think I was able to digest it completely, but will revisit it in the future.
- Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid ★★☆☆☆ || Yikes. Review here.
- Once Upon an Eid edited by S.K. Ali and Aisha Saeed ★★★★☆ || This was so cute and made my little heart glow.
- Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-Joo ★★★★☆ || I couldn’t stop thinking about it once I finished.
- Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) ★★1/2☆☆ || What even was this book…
- The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters by Balli Kaur Jaswal ★★★☆☆
- Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-first Century edited by Alice Wong
- More to the Story by Hena Khan ★★★★☆ || So heartwarming, I listened to the audiobook and really enjoyed it.
- Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) ★★★☆☆ Reread
I had so much fun reading historical romances this month despite the rollercoaster of ratings. I’m slowly working my way though the Bridgertons series…it’s wild and weird and not at all my favorite historical romance series, but I can’t stop. This genre of books are basically the literary form of novellas (as in soap operas) with all the tropes and wild drama and I live for them.
- Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★★ || I don’t know why, but I loved this book.
- Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1) by Lisa Kleypas ★★☆☆☆ || The heroine of the story was not it for me.
- The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn (Bridgertons, #2) ★★★★☆ || My favorite Bridgerton book so far despite how annoying Anthony was.
- An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn (Bridgertons #3) ★★★☆☆ || Kinda cute but kinda boring.
I discovered two artists new to me this month that I am just a little obsessed with.and Olivia Rodrigo’s albums have been on repeat since May. Can’t. Stop. Listening.
I’m basically in love with every member of look at them. This is one of my favorite songs of theirs. Some songs from Olivia Rodrigo’s album, Sour, also reminded me so much of pop punk from my middle school days. Specifically “good 4 you”. Major “Misery Business” vibes!, but I also want to be them all/own their entire wardrobes. I mean…
Hope you are having a good start to June. I personally can’t wait for summer to be over even though it hasn’t even officially started. I impatiently await the fall…where are you pumpkins and weather below 100 degrees fahrenheit?! Nevada weather is killin’ me!!