May was quite a busy month for me, but I was also able to read quite a few books from a bunch of different genres. While I didn’t post last month, I did read a lot. The trade-off was worth it, because I was able to read many books I’ve been wanting to read for ages like I’ll Be The One and Blood Promise (which was truly a wild ride from start to finish)!
- Eat the Mouth That Feeds You by Carribean Fragoza ★★★★☆ || Really weird. I loved it.
- I’ll Be the One by Lyla Lee ★★★☆☆ || Loved the message and tone of the book, but the writing style was not my favorite. Too simplistic/unrealistic of a book for me, but that’s just me. I’m not the target audience here!
- Islands of Decolonial Love: Stories and Songs by Leanne Betasamosake Simpson ★★★★☆ || I don’t think I was able to digest it completely, but will revisit it in the future.
- Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid ★★☆☆☆ || Yikes. Review here.
- Once Upon an Eid edited by S.K. Ali and Aisha Saeed ★★★★☆ || This was so cute and made my little heart glow.
- Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 by Cho Nam-Joo ★★★★☆ || I couldn’t stop thinking about it once I finished.
- Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) ★★1/2☆☆ || What even was this book…
- The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters by Balli Kaur Jaswal ★★★☆☆
- Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-first Century edited by Alice Wong
- More to the Story by Hena Khan ★★★★☆ || So heartwarming, I listened to the audiobook and really enjoyed it.
- Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) ★★★☆☆ Reread
I had so much fun reading historical romances this month despite the rollercoaster of ratings. I’m slowly working my way though the Bridgertons series…it’s wild and weird and not at all my favorite historical romance series, but I can’t stop. This genre of books are basically the literary form of novellas (as in soap operas) with all the tropes and wild drama and I live for them.
- Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★★ || I don’t know why, but I loved this book.
- Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1) by Lisa Kleypas ★★☆☆☆ || The heroine of the story was not it for me.
- The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn (Bridgertons, #2) ★★★★☆ || My favorite Bridgerton book so far despite how annoying Anthony was.
- An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn (Bridgertons #3) ★★★☆☆ || Kinda cute but kinda boring.
I discovered two artists new to me this month that I am just a little obsessed with. Måneskin and Olivia Rodrigo’s albums have been on repeat since May. Can’t. Stop. Listening.
I’m basically in love with every member of Måneskin, but I also want to be them all/own their entire wardrobes. I mean…look at them. This is one of my favorite songs of theirs. Some songs from Olivia Rodrigo’s album, Sour, also reminded me so much of pop punk from my middle school days. Specifically “good 4 you”. Major “Misery Business” vibes!
Hope you are having a good start to June. I personally can’t wait for summer to be over even though it hasn’t even officially started. I impatiently await the fall…where are you pumpkins and weather below 100 degrees fahrenheit?! Nevada weather is killin’ me!!
Ashmita | thefictionaljournal says
Once upon and eid and more to the story sounds soo great!!
They are so so cute, you should check them out!
Cherelle @ A Bolt out of the Book says
Ali! I’m glad to hear you managed to read a lot of books in May, and hope that your schedule has become less hectic? Ooh wow sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy Malibu Rising, I’ve always heard quite high praise for TJR’s novels… but I’ll definitely be checking out Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982, it sounds like such a meaningful read! Have a lovely June! ❤️
Thanks Cherelle! I know a lot of people liked it, so I’m in the minority for that book. You should, check out Kim Jiyoung, I think it was really great. Thanks, hope your June is going wonderfully ❤️
Ahh love the wrap up! I also read Once Upon An Eid, it’s super cute. The own voices rep is lovely too! I’ve been meaning to read More to the Story too, I’m really glad you liked it! Have a great June!! <3
Thanks Saniya! Wasn’t it?! More to the Story has the same cute, warm vibe to it. Hope you are having a lovely June!
I’m glad you loved Once Upon an Eid, I also really liked it! It’s so surprising that you didn’t like Malibu Rising!
I love summer, but it’s so overwhelming with this hot weather, I literally can’t do anything.
Yeah, I know a lot of people liked Malibu Rising…I think a lot of why I didn’t like it was because I wasn’t really in the mood for that kind of book when I read it. Hopefully you are NOT like me if you read it 😅
Agreed on not being able to do anything during the summer. I only really take naps during the summer because the heat sucks all the energy out of me! Hope you are having a great June, Morgan!