April was a bit of an odd month, it feels to me like it almost didn’t happen and I just skipped from March to May. Nothing much happened at all, which is actually a bit of a comforting notion. I had some time to breathe, which considering what May has already thrown me in its first week, was what my brain needed.
This month, I focused quite a bit on reading a diverse selection of books. More LGBTQ+ authors, more Indigenous authors, and more Latinx/Chicanx authors. I read some really fun books and some that didn’t quite hit the mark for me, but they were mostly all books that have been on my TBR for ages.
- Paradise, Nevada by Dario Diofebi ★★☆☆☆ || Goodreads review here.
- The Final Revival of Opal & Nev by Dawnie Walton ★★★★1/2 || Review here.
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas || I don’t know what to say about this…it was boring, it was predictable, but I kind of enjoyed it? But I also hated reading it. I don’t know.
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas ★★★★☆ || Review here.
- The Lady’s Guide to Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite ★★★★☆ || Loved the vibes, a solid historical romance.
- The Removed by Brandon Hobson ★★★★☆ || Review here.
- The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia ★★☆☆☆ || Not my cup of tea, there wasn’t much world-building, the love interest was so not it, and the story seemed to me like a watered down Count of Monte Cristo…I was just not in the mood.
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley ★★★★1/2 || Wow. Amazing. I was speechless after I read it and still am. The only big flaw was the skewed power dynamics in the romance of the story, which I couldn’t get past. Hence the 1/2 star.
- Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo ★★☆☆☆ || No comment. I DNF’d the final book in the series after reading this.
- Eat the Mouth That Feeds You by Carribean Fragoza ★★★★☆ || Super weird, super dark short stories. Just my kind of thing!
What book are you looking forward to reading the most next month? Let me know!